Buchungsbedingungen und Stornierungen für Outdoor-Aktivitäten

Online reservation terms and conditions for outdoor activity services

December 27, 2020

KoiHu Adventures’ online booking conditions for self-guided and guided canoe and other outdoor activity tours

These terms and conditions become binding to both parties once the client has confirmed the booking in www.koihu.com pages. Non-observance of the stated conditions can lead to booking annulment.

All prices include VAT (value-added tax). Prices and the terms of delivery at the date when the customer is confirming the reservation are valid for that reservation.

Online booking

The client makes the reservation themselves online. The person booking must be full age. In some cases, Koihu Adventure Oy can make the booking on behalf of the customer, if agreed with customer in writing, for example in email.

The booking system will send a confirmation and amount due information to the email address the client has provided. The online booking will be paid upon arrival or upon reservation depending on the booking platform used.

If booking is made via koihu.com site and if the arrival date is before 30 days of the day of booking, the full price will paid upon arrival. If arrival date is over 30 days of booking date, Koihu Adventures Oy will send confirmation fee invoice of 20% of the total price, and the rest 80% will be paid upon arrival. 

KoiHu Adventures is not held responsible if the online booking is unsuccessful, rather the customer should immediately contact KoiHu Adventures to rectify the situation, or other contact if so instructed during reservation.

By accepting the Terms and Conditions the customer acknowledges they have read and understood the contents and conditions of the service. The client is responsible for printing/saving the description page with the key details and booking conditions.

The prices in the web pages can vary depending on season and available capacity. An online shop may have special booking terms for campaigns. The prices can be different than mentioned in the telephone.

Cancellation of booking

Any cancellation must be made in writing by letter/email directly to KoiHu Adventures or the reseller if so instructed. The date on which KoiHu Adventures receives the written notification will be regarded as the date of the cancellation.

KoiHu Adventures recommends that the client obtains travel insurance to cover any contingencies. Koihu Adventures has no responsibility to accept cancellations without charging cancellations fees.

Cancellation policy

  • We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 2 days or less before event
  • We will charge a cancellation fee of 80% if booking is cancelled 14 days or less before event
  • We will charge a cancellation fee of 20% if booking is cancelled a month or less before event

Please note, that this does not apply if corona restrictions set by goverment prevent to travel. 

KoiHu Adventures’ right to cancel reservations

Koihu Adventures has the right to cancel the booking in a case of force majeure circumstances. In this case the client is entitled to a full refund of the paid sum. In case the client does not make and payment in specified terms booking is cancelled automatically.

KoiHu Adventures reserves the right to change the routing, timing or contents of the outdoor activity tours, for instance because of the difficult and dangerous weather conditions. These are always communicated and agreed in advance with the customer.

The customer assures that they have sufficient skills in canoeing or in other outdoor activity of the service in question, and in traveling in waters and nature. The client must inform in advance if they have some health problems.

All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. KoiHu Adventures does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. KoiHu Adventures recommends the client to have valid travel insurance to cover any such injuries and damages.

Compensations of the damage

The client is obliged to cover the loss or damages caused to the object/property of KoiHu Adventures directly to KoiHu Adventures. Koihu does not compensate the customer for any inconvenience or expense caused by natural conditions, such as insects, animals, roads in bad conditions or unexpected weather changes.

Koihu Adventures Oy has operational liability insurance.


KoiHu Adventures ensures the security and confidentiality of the customer information according to General Data Protection Regulation and Tietosuojaki in Finland. Privacy notice is available at www.koihu.com.

By accepting the Terms, the customer acknoledges they have read and understood the content of the service and the Terms.